Hi there! Thank you for stopping by to check out this easy version of fried cabbage. Fried cabbage is a southern staple–prepared all year long. With the holidays approaching, I wanted to give you one more recipe to add to your feast!
The great thing about fried cabbage is that you can make it as southern as you want or…not. This recipe can be made vegan with all of the same flavor. If you are preparing this dish for a larger party, double the ingredients.
- 1 smoked turkey, beef or pork sausage link or 1 pack of bacon (all if you desire)
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of Texas Pete Hot sauce or Tabasco sauce (adjust hot sauce to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of FRESH parsley for garnish.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons of liquid smoke (vegan option)
- 1-2 tablespoons of poultry seasoning (vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and fry your bacon or sausage. When meat is cooked, remove from pan, leaving the grease behind. Chop your meat into bite sized pieces and set aside for later.
Add your chopped garlic, chopped onion and chopped bell pepper to the pot until onions cook down. Add your cabbage and stir in well. It is important you do not cover the cabbage with a lid. This will cause the cabbage to steam, not fry. When cabbage has cooked down to almost desired texture, return your meat to the pot. Continue to stir-fry cabbage for about 2-3 additional minutes. I like my cabbage cooked with a little crunch, not wilted completely.
Add your Tabasco or Hot sauce, smoked paprika and salt & pepper. When desired taste is reached, remove from pot and garnish with fresh parsley.
Follow the steps above, but do not use meat. Instead of bacon or sausage grease, use your favorite oil. When you begin to season your cabbage, add the liquid smoke and poultry seasoning.
One Comment Add yours